Good Morning Class 4, I hope I find you all well this morning.

Today sees us swing into the final week of the half-term and what a half-term it has been, not the one that we all expected to be having. Nevertheless, you have all done a cracking job with your school work and it has been a pleasure receiving all of your work.

Summary of Today’s Tasks

1. English
  2. Maths
  3. Theme

English

Step 1:This week in our English sessions we are going to be writing a Kenning poem using Beowulf as our inspiration. The subject of our Kenning is going to be one of the main antagonists from Beowulf; Grendel. Today I would like you to draw a picture of what Grendel looks like to you. You may wish to scroll back through the blog and watch the PowerPoint presentation on Beowulf, or maybe search the internet for pictures of Grendel for inspiration. Remember to fill the page and draw with detail and include colour.

Step 2: After you have drawn your picture, I would like you to use single adjectives/nouns to describe what Grendel looks like e.g. Green, hairy, horns, gigantic. There is no limit as to the number of words but I want a minimum of 10.

Step 3: In a similar manner to step 2, I would like you to list verbs that describe how Grendel moves/carries out activities e.g. Roar, swiftly, noisily etc. There is no limit as to the number of words but I want a minimum of 10.

Maths

This week we are going to continue with our work on basic skills in maths, tomorrow we will be recapping multiplication. Hopefully, you all utilised your time on Friday to practice your multiplication skills. To get us warmed up and ready for today’s mini activities, I thought we could have a go at my favourite…

Below is one of my all time favourite investigations from NRICH, followed by 2 more tasks (you don’t have to complete all of them):

Tip: I would create a table, here’s my example (what I have completed so far):

Theme

Today, for your theme activity we are going to be exploring Sutton Hoo and the artifacts that were discovered there. To begin with I would like you to watch the first video below in order to find out some basic information about Sutton Hoo:

The next two videos are from the British Museum and discuss artifacts that were discovered, you do not have to watch these videos, but they do give a good insight into what was found (more videos can be found on the British Museum Youtube Account).

Task

Task 1)

On Seesaw I have posted a research grid and a supporting information sheet (you may be able to find the answers using the sheet , hint, hint or you could research your answers using a different method)

Task 2)

Now that you have learnt about Sutton Hoo, I would like you to create your own vlog about it. Some of you might have found the first video a little dull and thought that you could have done much better job (I’m sure you could have!). Think Horrible Histories.

Home-learning – Monday 8th February