The Best Good Morning Images | Inspire a Better Day

Good Morning Class 4,

I hope you all had a wonderful, restful weekend and are ready to commence with our theme work. This week sees the launch of our unit on Buried Treasure! So dust off your shoes, sit-up straight and get ready for an epic adventure into the life of the Anglo-Saxons!

However I would like to start with celebrating some of the fantastic work sent over on Friday:

Guided Reading

I had an amazing idea on Friday of filming myself reading Boy at the Back of the Class so that we could continue with our whole class guided reading session. However, I took a quick look on YouTube and found a fantastic resource called the reading corner. However I am looking at uploading a video of me reading the class book at some point this week, just need to get my head around the technology (you know how good I am at school with this….not!)

Task:

I would like you to watch the video and then answer the questions.

Submitting your work:

Either, type your answers into the notepad feature on seesaw (preferred option) or write your answers on paper and take a photo (remember to zoom in so that I can see your work) and save into the home-learning folder.

GPS

For our GPS sessions we will be accessing the resources from Oakwood Academy. The lessons will progressively get harder and build upon knowledge gained in earlier lessons. The first one is relatively easy, but please persevere so that you can used to the format.

https://classroom.thenational.academy/lessons/to-explore-simple-sentences-cmwp8r

Anglo Saxon Ships

English

In our English sessions we are going to be writing a non-chronological report about the Anglo-Saxons, therefore today I would like you to spend some time researching these amazing travelers. But to begin with check out these videos on the Anglo-Saxons by Horrible Histories:

On seesaw I have posted a template for you to complete, along with a couple of websites that might be helpful with regards to your research.

Mini-Maths Task

Have a go at this game from NRICH.

You could play with a brother or sister, mum or dad, next doors cat…well maybe not…social distancing and own bubble rules…just find somebody at home.

Ignore the suggestion about playing Tug of War first (it is aimed at much younger children).

Computing

If we were in school today, we would have been starting on our Writing for Different Audiences unit. Using the Purple Mash scheme of work. Despite being at home, I feel that we can continue with our work on Purple Mash we just need to tweak it slightly.

Take a look at his newspaper that I picked up last week. Look closely at the font sizes, font style , newspaper name, headlines and subheadings,and think carefully about how the layout guides the reader. You may wish to discuss the layout with an adult. If you have a news paper at home you may wish to have a close look at the layout.

.

Task:

1. Have a look at the boring newspaper articles on purple mash (saved as a 2do) and think carefully about how the layout could be improved (not the content; it can be left alone).
  2. Using the formatting tools, improve the layout.

Mr Mallison’s top tips:

To edit the text you should highlight it and then click on the large A icon:

When you click on the A icon you will be welcomed by a number of options (see below), rather than me explaining each tool,why not experiment?

Mr Mallison’s top tip #2: Compare your layout to an actual newspaper, discuss with an adult, how can I improve my work?

Extension Task: Create your own newspaper using the Blank Newspaper app on Purple Mash, simply search for it. Your newspaper could be dedicated to your hobby…a newspaper on model trains would be superb or golf. You could create a newspaper based on your favourite football team, a recent match, a current news event, your day, a fantasy piece about your pet…your daily news…the possibilities are endless.

Theme

We have a couple of activities to complete in our theme session today, and before we delve further into the history of the Anglo-Saxons I would like to know what you would like to find out, therefore using the template on seesaw I would like you to create a mind-map of questions detailing what you want to investigate and learn about.

We are now going to revisit our time line that we created last week and add more events to it; you may even need to make it even larger. Note for parents: the purpose of this activity is to give the children an idea of the key events in the Anglo-Saxon period, before we move onto more in-depth activities.

Using the two files below (the pictures and pdf) I would like you to add the information to your timeline and share your results on Seesaw by taking a photo.

I do not want you to print any of the files out.

I would like you to add the date and a written explanation of the event.

In order to fit all of the information on you may need to be creative if you’ve run out of space. Think about post-it notes, extra pieces of paper, arrows.

Extension Activities:

There are three extension activities on seesaw should you wish to have ago, but remember these are not mandatory.

Home-Learning: Monday 11th January