Welcome back to fingers crossed what will be the last two-week installment of home-learning. Hopefully, Boris Johnson’s statement this evening will allow us all to return back to school on Monday 8th March. It would be so much better to see you all in person rather than through the home-learning platform. Although, I must say that you have collectively produced some amazing work and it has brightened up my day receiving it.I trust you have all had a restful half-term and recharged the batteries and are ready to recommence our learning journey. Therefore, lets comb our hair, brush our teeth, pull our socks up and get back to it…here is the plan for today:

Summary

1. Spelling
  2. English
  3. Maths
  4. Computing
  5. Theme

Spelling

To kick off the week I am going to issue you with your spellings. We will test you on these on Monday 1st March.

Year 4

We will be focusing our learning this week on the ‘tion’ sound. Here is your list below:

As always I have included a game on Purple Mash, should you wish to use an electronic method of practicing.

Year 5

My apologies year 5, after checking the blog to inquire which list I needed to issue you with I discovered that I had given you the same list two weeks in a row, sorry! Here are your correct spellings for this week:

English

I am so excited about our English unit, which is going to be guided by the amazing; How to Train your Dragon by Cressida Cowell. Throughout our unit new English unit I want to read the book to you, however for the first few chapters, I thought it would be really exciting to listen to the author read the book! She tells the story much better than I ever could!

Task 1:

Put your feet up, turn the volume up, close your eyes and listen to Chapter 1 only. PS: I love how many books she has staked everywhere!

Watch my video below and complete the activity that I have set out in the video.

Task 2

Listen to both parts of Chapter 2.

Task 2

I have posted three different activities onto Seesaw, and as explained in my video you need to select a suitable starting point for your ability level, please do not simply pick the first task because it is the easiest, challenge youself.

Here is a summary of the tasks:

Easiest: Select one of the characters and write in the thought bubbles what they are thinking about an event in the story and then in the heart how they are feeling about the event (please remember to tell me which event you are discussing).

Middle: Complete the emotions graph for hiccup. We have completed one of these previously in school, but to summarise, the first event on the graph is when Gobber blows the horn you then need to place a cross on the graph to show how you think he feels please note my example may be the wrong feeling:

Challenge: Using the emotions word bank below, can you assign each event with a suitable emotion?

After you have plotted each emotion on your graph you can join the plots in event order see example below (but remember my example is completely wrong!!!)

Hardest: Complete the emotions graph for the four characters detailed on the graph and add suitable emotion words next to each plot on the graph. You should also join each characters feelings as above.

Finally, we will also be using Cressida’s book How to be Viking for our Guided Reading sessions (we will return to the Boy at the Back of the Class as our class novel when we return to school).

Maths

Continuing our focus on the basics I would like to spend the next couple of weeks on shape which will hopefully take us up until us being back at school (government announcement pending).

Year 4

Today children we are going to be exploring shape and symmetry: Compare and Order Angles; using the National Academy resources. Below is the link to the lesson. In addition to this resource I have also uploaded a copy of the activities and worksheet to seesaw so that you do not have to print anything out (if you don’t want to).

https://classroom.thenational.academy/lessons/shape-and-symmetry-to-compare-and-order-angles-c4wpcr

Year 5

Today children we are going to be exploring 2D and 3D shape: To identify, describe and classify shapes based on the properties (Part 1); using the National Academy resources. Below is the link to the lesson. In addition to this resource I have also uploaded a copy of the activities and worksheet to seesaw so that you do not have to print anything out (if you don’t want to).

https://classroom.thenational.academy/lessons/2d-and-3d-shape-to-identify-describe-and-classify-shapes-based-on-the-properties-part-1-6dhpac

Computing

Our IT unit for this half-term is animation, for today’s session I would have set you a 2DO on purplemash. If you watch the video below it will outline what I would like you to do:

Please note, today’s session is rather basic, it will become more challenging, I just want you to have a play around with the app and find out what you can do with it.

Theme

If you haven’t guessed it already our learning this half-term is mainly going to be centered on the Vikings. I would however like to find out what you would like to learn about the vikings.

Task

Create a mind-map detailing the questions that you would like to answer as we progress through the unit (remember to push yourself – I would like more than 5 questions). I have included a copy of the file below on Seesaw, but you can simply write your questions out on paper if you want to spend time away from electronic devices.

Home-Learning: Monday 22nd February